2017 CIHC PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SEMINAR
JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
515 Mason Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Monday, December 4, 2017
- Welcome and CIHC Update — Pamela Murcell, MS, CIH, Conference Co-Chair, CIHC Board President, KWA Safety & HazMat Consultants, Inc.
- Session Chair Welcome and Introductions — Chris Laszcz-Davis, MS, CIH, REPA, FAIHA, AIC Fellow, President, The Environmental Quality Organization, LLC, former CIHC Board President
- California Legislative Activity — Catherine Barankin, CIHC Legislative Advocate
- National AIHA—Its Aspirations and Challenges in Today’s Climate — Larry Sloan, CAE, Chief Executive Officer, American Industrial Hygiene Association
- Cal/OSHA Update and Progress--Juliann Sum, JD, ScM, Chief, Cal/OSHA
- California Department of Public Health Update — Barbara Materna, PhD, CIH, Chief, Occupational Health Branch, CA Dept. of Public Health
- Can Federal OSHA Withstand the Injury?: The Trump Administration’s Impact on Worker Protection Rules--Peggy Otum, JD, Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer, LLP
- KEYNOTE LUNCHEON – Industry 4.0: Evolving EHS Practice — John Howard, MD, MPH, JD, LLM, Director, NIOSH
- New Technology for Air Sampling: Are You Ready for the Internet of Things (IoT)? — Ron McMahan, BSIE, Director of Business Development and Innovation SGS Galson Laboratories Inc;
- The New Frontier in Naturally Occurring Asbestos: Elongate Mineral Particles-Applying a Mega Data Set to Solve Major Constructability Issues at the Calaveras Dam — Dan Hernandez, MPH, CIH, NOA Manager, Calaveras Dam Replacement Project, Dragados Flatiron Sukut JV Calaveras Dam Replacement Project / Bradley Erskine, Ph.D. PG, CEG, CHg, Principal Geologist, Kleinfelder, Compliance Manager – Naturally Occurring Asbestos Program, Calaveras Dam Replacement Project
- Occupational Health and Safety Hazards in the Cannabis Industry — CDR Bradley S. King, PhD, MPH, CIH, NIOSH Western States Division
- Worker Health and Safety Apps for Smart Phones — Gino Fazio, Office of the Director, NIOSH
Tuesday, December 5, 2017
- Occupational Health & Safety Assessment: Small Factories in Dhaka, Bangladesh — Gary Bangs, MPH, CIH, Retired, University of Washington, Seattle
- Mobilizing Consumers to Wear their Values — Ayesha Barenblat, MPP, Founder, Remake, San Francisco
- The Good News and the Bad News on Working Conditions in Electronics Supply Chains — Michael Rohwer, Associate Director, Business for Social Responsibility, San Francisco
- CSR’s global failure to protect workers – Case study of Hansae Vietnam — Garrett Brown, MPH, CIH, FAIHA, Coordinator, Maquiladora Health & Safety Support Network, Berkeley
- Megatrends and AIHA's Content Priorities — Ben Kollmeyer, MPH, CIH, Principal and Chief Science Officer, Forensic Analytical Consulting Services, Inc.
- The Value of an EHS Management of Change Process – Richard Hirsh, MPH, CIH, FAIHA, Director, Environmental Health and Safety, Nektar Therapeutics
- The Exposure Science Frontier — Jennifer Sahmel, MPH, CIH, CSP, Insight Exposure and Risk Sciences
- How Monitor Alarm Set Points Affect Real World Operator Level Behaviors — Bob Comer, District Manager, Industrial Scientific
Wednesday, December 6, 2017
- Prop 64 – Legalized Marijuana Impact on Work Place Policies — Christopher Onstott, Attorney, Kronick Moskovitz Tiedemann & Girard
- “The Office” – A workers’ compensation perspective on employment and safety, including non-traditional work spaces — Jeannette Herrera, JD, Associate Attorney, Hanna Brophy MacLean McAleer and Jensen
- Update on Asbestos Litigation: Where are we now? – Sonja E. Blomquist, Attorney and Managing Shareholder, Low, Ball & Lynch
- A Review of Hearing Loss Compensation Claim Outcomes in Light of Advanced Statistical Analysis Techniques for Determining Work-Relatedness — Rob Brauch, President, Occupational Health and Safety Solutions. Inc.
- Case Studies for IH Ethics – Mark Katchen, CIH, FAIHA, Managing Principal, The Phylmar Group, Inc.